|Deserted Church Domherrenhagen (“Wüste Kirche Domherrenhagen”)
The remains of a romanesque church from the early times of German settlement in the Muritz area around 1200 can be found on a hill close to Ulrichshusen. The church was built of boulder, bricks were only used for structural reveals of windows and doors. The ruin shows the original plan without any alterations as it obviously fell deserted in the 15th century. In an early document a report of a traveller is mentioned who found the villages of Domherrenhagen and nearby Marxhagen abandonned.
In visitation records from 1534 and 1541/42 the church is no longer mentioned. Ulrich von Maltzan bought the estate of Domherrenhagen from the Güstrow chapter (Domkapitel). In 1562 he built Ulrichshusen Castle.
The Friends were successful in raising money from the village renewal scheme (Dorferneuerungsprogramm) additional to their own funds. Together with job-creating measures for twelve young masons of the employment center (Arbeitsagentur) Neubrandenburg the ruin was laid bare and secured.
In the sunrise of Easter Sunday 2004 the first worship was held in the saved church. Devotions, prayers, services, and concerts will bring life back to this sacred place. For travellers and walkers it may be a lieu of meditations and contemplation. The wall may narrate about the past 800 years...
The “Wüste Kirche Domherrenhagen” is listed as an archaeological monument.